birding-aus

Spotted Quail Thrush at Anakie Gorge

Subject: Spotted Quail Thrush at Anakie Gorge
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:13:36 +1100

On the weekend, Anakie Gorge in the Brisbane Ranges near Geelong, Victoria, was buzzing with birds despite the rather bleak weather.

The highlight was a fleeting glimpse of what i think was a Spotted Quail Trush scuttling along the ground on the incline near the carpark. the bird in question was a  pigeon sized and shaped bird with very distinct white eye brow. Its wing was spotted/flecked with chestnut and white.   Unfortunately, i tried to get a photo of it a little quickly and lost sight of it once I put the viewfinder to my eye.

Lots of honeyeaters around too. A brief list:

White eared HE
White naped HE
Yellow Tufted HE
New Holland HE
White plumed HE
Red Wattlebird
Yellow Robin
Golden Whistler
White Winged Chough
White throated treecreeper.
Superb Fairy Wren
White browed Scrubwren
Crimson Rosella
Jacky Winter
Yellow Rumped Thornbill
Red Browed finch

Along Granite rd, towards the You Yangs, about 30 zebra finch where seen in a paddock. Further along near Sandy Creek rd, about 8 Diamond Firetails were on the corner along with 2-4 Restless Flycatchers.

Peter