birding-aus

Nadzab Kites

To: <>
Subject: Nadzab Kites
From: "Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:00:11 +1100
I have had this request sent to me by a birding friend in Lae, PNG. If anyone can help, can they please reply to Elliot Harding directly at
Many thanks
Don Hadden

Dear All,

This is a request for assistance with a very bad problem we have here in Lae (PNG) with Black Kites (Milvus migrans) on the runway at Nadzab in their hundreds. Air Niugini is almost at the stage where they will refuse to fly into Lae because of the danger to the passengers and aircraft. Last year a Black Kite was sucked into one of the engines of an F28 aircraft that caused an engine failure on takeoff. Luckily no one was injured and except for the engine damage to the tune of (PNG Kina 1-6m) the aircraft was OK. Last week a take off was aborted at the last moment due to hundreds of Kites on the runway. There was a delay while the runway was cleared.

They have tried culling the Kites but this is not too effective as the birds now tend to become aware of the danger and fly higher when the cullers are around. The secondary problem is that there is an embargo on the importation of ammunition at the moment into PNG. Air Niugini has approached AusAID for assistance but due to the problem just explained the effect will be very limited and short term.

I have been approached by the Chief Safety Officer of Air Niugini and the President of Lae Chamber of Commerce and Industry to assist them with this problem as it would be economic disaster for industry in Lae to have the airport closed.

Could anyone please assist with information on ways to control/contain this problem.

Besides culling we are aware of only 2 other options.

Option 1.           Computerised sonic noises through strategically placed loudspeakers.

Option 2            High intensity flashing strobe lights.

The disadvantage with both of these options is that both are open to vandalism which here in PNG is a major problem.

I would appreciate any advice and/or assistance anyone can give. If a site visit was felt appropriate I?m sure Air Niugini would assist.

Kind regards ?

Elliot Harding

P.O. Box 1728

Lae