birding-aus

Slender-billed White-eye?

To: "'Ross Silcock'" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Slender-billed White-eye?
From: "Brent Stephenson" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:36:03 +1300
Hi Ross and BIRDING-AUSers,

Well done on picking this one up Ross!  Seems they have got the
slender-billed and the white-chested white-eyes mixed up.  Rohan Clarke
and I saw quite a few slender-billed while we were in Norfolk Island in
April/May 2001 (although I suspect the population could be less than
previous visits?).  We did spend some time searching for the
white-chested white-eye, as although the 'official' stance by
Environment Australia on Norfolk Island is that the bird is extinct,
several of their own staff had seen the birds within 12 months of us
being there.  It appears as though the species may still be extant, but
'officialdom' does not want it to be recognised as such. A real shame!

Regards
Brent

Brent Stephenson
Eco-Vista: Photography & Research + Wrybill Tours, NZ
email
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/eco-vist/index.htm