birding-aus

Birds in the Gippsland fire area

Subject: Birds in the Gippsland fire area
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:27:36 +1100
G'day all

I'm back on fire weather duty - this time in the Swifts Creek, Omeo, Dargo
area of Gippsland (Victoria!).  Most days our duties take us (my colleague
is a chap from Land Victoria) to the top of Mt. Nugong and then over Mt.
Hotham to Dargo.  Although we have travelled through lots of severely burnt
areas there are areas intact and alive with birds.

Highlights so far include several Spotted Quail-thrush, abundant Flame
Robins, Scarlet and Rose Robins in the same wattle tree, a few Olive
Whistlers in the snow gums, Red-browed Treecreepers in Alpine Ash and a
lyrebird that flew across in front of our car.  Last night we were on Mt
Hotham summit at 10:30 and it was 3 degrees - hardly what you expect on
fire duty.

This is a beautiful part of Victoria and I urge you all to come birding
here in the near future.  The Dargo Pub has the best meals so far.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria