birding-aus

Goanna vs Possum

To: <>
Subject: Goanna vs Possum
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 12:39:50 -0600
Whilst watching a Brown-headed Honeyeater foraging in the flowers of our Red Cedar tree (Toona australis), something I've not seen before (the choice of foraging substrate, not the bird), my wife and I were distracted by a loud cry of alarm.  We looked around to see what we both thought was a large branch falling from a nearby Angophora costata (Sydney Red Gum). It was only after it hit the ground that we realised it was actually a Lace Monitor (Varanus varius) with a Common Ring-tailed Possum in its jaws. Our immediate, instinctive reaction was to call out, whereupon the goanna let go of the possum and scrambled up the tree. The possum ran off and up a different tree. We were amazed that both animals appeared to have suffered no ill effects from the fall which must have been about thirty feet (nine metres).
Paul Osborn
Cooranbong, NSW
(~33 02S 15125E)