birding-aus

Pacific Baza Nests

To: <>
Subject: Pacific Baza Nests
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:36:03 +1100
Hi Birders

Andrew (6/2/03) raised the question as to whether Baza nests are built in close association with larger birds of prey. I checked HANZAB and no mention is made of such a suggestion. Over the past 15 years of living on the Central Coast of NSW I have seen a number of Baza nests and none were neither seen or known to be in the vicinity of a larger bird of prey. One pair near Mardi however nests near a Sparrowhawk's nest, but it is hard to know to who nested there first! It may be co-incidence for them and the location is suitable rather than gaining any mutual benefit.

Alan Morris