birding-aus

Kimberley Coastal Camp WA

Subject: Kimberley Coastal Camp WA
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:54:59 +0800

Kimberley Coastal Camp

Is anyone interested in birding for 5 days at the Kimberley Coastal Camp on the coast opposite Point Walsh just east of the Mitchell Plateau?  I am happy to organise the trip (all costs shared) if four or five people are interested.  The trip would begin and end in Kununurra.  We fly to and from the KCC by seaplane.  I would prefer the trip to be in early October when most of the migrants have arrived, but the weather will be hot.  You need to be reasonably fit as the going in the vine thickets and some of the sandstone areas is hard going.

I have been to the KCC once and the birding was sensational.  I saw all the northern mangrove specialties such as Chestnut Rail, Grey Goshawk, Little Bronze-Cuckoo, Shining Flycatcher, Lemon-bellied (Kimberley) Flycatcher, Mangrove Robin, Large-billed Gerygone, etc.  There are a number of remnant vine thickets and rainforest where I saw Rufous Owl, Rainbow Pitta, Orange-footed Scrubfowl, Rufous Fantail, Green-backed Gerygone, Little Shrike-thrush, Varied Triller, etc.  Other birds seen included Great-billed Heron, Pied Imperial-Pigeon, White-lined Honeyeater, Beach Stone-curlew, etc.  And the mammals, fishing and Liz's cooking are exceptional too.

I would be happy to stay on for a few more days in Kununurra to show you birds in the Kununurra / Wyndham area if you cover my costs.  If you are interested, then please contact Frank O'Connor at or (08) 9386 5694.

Frank O'Connor     Birding WA http://members.iinet.net.au/~foconnor