birding-aus

Augusta / Albany WA Pelagic Trip

Subject: Augusta / Albany WA Pelagic Trip
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 17:53:51 +0800

Augusta/Albany Pelagic

Is anyone interested in a pelagic seabird trip from Augusta or Albany in WA?  I am happy to organise the trip (all costs shared) if enough people are interested.  I would need at least 10 people interested.  Also suggestions for the best time of the year for the trip?  I plan to ask the Augusta Tourist Bureau if the trip goes ahead.  Possibly late autumn (May), winter (July), early spring (September) or summer (December).  In case the trip needed to be deferred due to weather, it will probably require driving down on Friday and returning on Monday.  I would prefer the trip to be from Augusta, but Albany could be better if we need to wait a day or two for the weather to settle, as there is better birding nearby, and it might be easier to find a suitable boat in Albany.

The aim of the trip would be to find seabirds and cetaceans that we do not normally see on the Perth pelagics from Hillarys.  e.g. unusual albatrosses, White-chinned Petrel, White-headed Petrel, Grey Petrel, Blue Petrel, Blue Whale or something even rarer like Common Diving-Petrel, Southern Fulmar, Fairy Prion, South Polar Skua, etc.  May is reported to be a good time for Blue Whale, July for many seabirds, September for migratory seabirds such as shearwaters, and in summer the weather might be better.  If you are interested, then please contact Frank O'Connor at or (08) 9386 5694.

Frank O'Connor     Birding WA http://members.iinet.net.au/~foconnor