birding-aus

House Swift

To: <>
Subject: House Swift
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:17:37 +1100
Hi all

After a sweltering day in Dungog 40 + degrees, I was inside when I became aware of Swifts outside around 8 P.M. We regularly get White-throated Needletails at home. With recent sightings of Fork-tailed Swifts in Sydney & Central Coast I was keen to add one to my "home list" . I soon became aware of a smaller swift and locked the binoculars onto it and followed its path. It was smaller and white rumped with a clear white throat ( whiter and bigger than the Fork-tailed Swift, more like the Needletail ) but the tail rather than being forked , only had a slight indentation. The tail was also short like a Needletail  rather than elongated looking like a Fork-tailed. The birds flight was different to the Needletails, and wings were more fluttering than Needletails. I followed it for a few seconds before it disappeared in the mob.

Around 150 White-throated Needletails present . Wind had been fairly strong from the North West but had died completely. Sky clear. The swifts were flying from very low to very high and seemed to be hawking in a Southerly direction.

Great way to finish a hot day and a great bird to add to the home list..

Cheers

Dick Jenkin

DUNGOG NSW