birding-aus

Laughing Gull.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Laughing Gull.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:34:06 +1100
    Hi Everyone,

Bob Way and I have just returned from a 3 day, 2300 K. trip from Sydney to
Bribie I. to see the Laughing Gull. This we managed to do on the evening of
the first day on arrival at the Island. We were about 1/2 way between the
jetty and the bridge to the mainland when Bob saw it fly overhead, we kept
it in view until it disappeared beyond the bridge, we then followed it up
and found it again with some Silver Gulls near a seafood restaurant ~ 300 m.
north of the bridge where we had good views at about 15 M. in the failing
light. We believe the gulls expected to be fed probably by the restaurant
patrons. There were no gulls and the restaurant was closed the next morning,
nor did we find the gull anywhere else despite searching from beyond
Buckley's Hole to well north of the restaurant. It was still around
somewhere however because we know Trevor Ford saw it later in the day
(Friday 24 Th.).

We then went to Apex park near Daybro where Tom Tarrant reported Oriental
Cuckoos. no luck with these however as we were too late, Tom told us they
had not been seen there in the previous week.

On the second night we camped at Terania Creek in Nightcap N.P. and
spotlighted the Marbled Frogmouth, this was a tick for Bob and my first
sighting of the Plumed race, Bob was a very happy boy!

Many thanks to Trevor, Tom and others for their help and for reporting and
supplying updates on these birds.

Bruce and on behalf of Bob.

 Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.