birding-aus

Duck shooters as conservationists

To: "Karen Pearson" <>, <>
Subject: Duck shooters as conservationists
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:34:53 +1000
Just a matter of interest, a ban on shooting would not alleviate any of the
problems described in points (a) through (i) of Karen's post.  (Before you
jump on me, read what I am saying.  Ask yourself if you have seen anywhere a
statement that I support hunting.)

If preventing hunting is made a cornerstone of waterfowl conservation, it
will need to be much more sophisticated than simply declaring the activity
banned.  I'd like to see some proposals.  The best ones I have seen put into
practice so far are, perhaps regrettably, from the hunters in North America.

Moral outrage is fine, as far as it goes.  Its also easy.  I know from
experience.  Its much harder to put together a workable plan, and then begin
implementing it.  Round one to Ducks Unlimited.

Scott O'Keeffe