birding-aus

Harrington estuary

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Harrington estuary
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:56:17 +1100
This morning my wife and I spent some time birding along the Harrington estuary and inside the littoral rainforest. It was a cloudy day with South East light winds and the tide was low and incoming.

Inside the littoral rainforest it was very quiet. The best sighting was one Crested Shrike Tit, a male Varied Triller and a Laughing Kookaburra killing a dragon. Now this was problematic because it would appear that the dragon was the rare one associated with this rainforest type but I guess we can not negotiate with a kookaburra after its tucker. There were many Olive Backed Orioles in the canopy but virtually nothing in the leaf litter.

As we walked the breakwater we were distracted by seeing a huge Green Turtle inside the breakwater, poking its nose above the water and moving sedately through the water. We found many Crested Tern, several Little Tern, one Gull Billed Tern in breeding plumage. On the exposed mudflats there were about 10 Bar Tailed Godwit, a few Eastern Curlew, one Whimbrel, 20 Pacific Golden Plover, three Grey Tailed Tatlers and a lovely flock of Mangrove Gerygones.

Overhead we also saw White Throated Needletails and a few Fork Tailed Swifts. Total list for the Harrington Estuary this morning was 54 species.

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine
NSW 2233