birding-aus

A Tale of Two Tattlers

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: A Tale of Two Tattlers
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:08:14 +1100
This identification exercise has created a most complex debate ....I have
had my thoughts regarding the supercilium confirmed by one, the tones by
another, doubts raised by the number so far south by a third, the OK by
another regarding the rocky shoreline, and a statement that I really need to
look at the nasal groove before ID could be confirmed. Another has gone for
the call as the best diagnostic.

Well, failing a local Sydney expert on waders getting out there (to Bonna
Point Reserve, Kurnell, for those who did not see my first email) and
checking I have weighed the evidence and have a question:

1) could it be that the two types of Tattler can roost/loaf around together?

I say this because there were definite birds with more upright posture and
the white line did not get anywhere near to the eye. These birds had black
bills, with no hint of yellow. The tones of grey were quite dark. These were
the birds I could best view through the scope, at 30m, and the birds that
made me suspect I had Wandering Tattlers before me. The other birds that
made up the full dozen were not so visible and many were resting with heads
tucked away but some that did stretch out more fully appeared to have a more
prominent supercilium. No comment by me regarding the call .... I did not
hear a peep out of any of them.

Now for a local wader person to get out there ... where are you when we need
you Phil? Oh, and Phil, there were about 15 Eastern Curlew roosting on the
most southerly island in the H1 wetlands opposite Cronulla High School on
15th January as well. The rehabilitation process seems to have been working.
On 29th December there were also 12 Sharp Tailed Sandpipers present. I have
not seen them since.

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine