birding-aus

Better There was a Duck-shooting Season

To: "Karen Pearson" <>
Subject: Better There was a Duck-shooting Season
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:00:53 +1100

>Ken said'
>Over the years the people who have put more money and effort into wetland
>conservation in Australia than any other group have been the duck-shooters.
>I am sure that many of you have visited the magnificent crater lakes and
>vegetated islands of Tower Hill near Warnambool in Victoria. Before that
>land was purchased by duck-shooters it was a degraded, denuded area infested
>by rabbits, foxes and weeds. They started the process of restoration and in
>due course passed the control of the land back to the state of Victoria.

>>**Some people find the fact that some people work on conservation so that
>>they can shoot the things they are conserving just a tad odd.  I know I
>>do.**

I think one of  the most important aspects in conservation is the spreading of awareness.

In a modern society, where most people are detached from a natural environment,  a lot of habitat destruction is caused unknowingly by people, because they  are unaware and uninformed of the impact of their actions.

At least 'some' duck shooters do get to know the conditions and habitats that sustain a healthy population of waterfowl, and can then contribute in maintaining and even potentially developing (as ken mentioned) healthy wetlands to support waterfowl.

This is not to say that I support the hunting of native wildlife, (far from it), but at least it maintains a stream of knowledge flowing through society of natural processes that can help in future conservational issues.

The number of excellent points I read on this mailing list about various issues, often makes me think how great it would be if this type of information was reaching the geneal public. Unfortunately, with mailing lists, its on a suscriber basis, and only those with the specific interest get the information.

Wouldn't a 'National day of the Waterways' be great idea for Australia?

A river is a great symbol to encourage mutual respect and cooperation  -  If you pollute, dam, or empty a river or creek upstream, you'll be passing on those conditions to your neighbours downstream.

Austalians need to work together to create a more harmonious natural (and social) environment, but to do so we need the information and have it disemminated in an appropriate manner than benefits the needs of the the Australian cultural flux to ensure the  long-term survival of this great land and all creatures on it.

Peter

(Feeling like a preaching politician)