birding-aus

Common Tern ID

To: Mike Carter <>, BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Common Tern ID
From: jilldening <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 05:12:46 +1000
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I have thought further about this bird, prompted in
part by the generosity of others in sharing their experience with me. I
could not make this bird into an Arctic Tern, as it appeared, from my
memory, to have legs of equal length to the Commons around it. Nor was I
happy with Roseate, although Paul O'Neill explained that young Roseates can
show a dark carpal bar. And I didn't get a look at the back end.

After some thought, I am still locked into the Common Tern ID. What was so
different was the blinding brightness of the bill and legs.

I have seen many examples similar to the bird you described below, and I
agree with every feature you have noted pointing to a Common in the last
stage prior to showing full breeding plumage. I find it interesting that the
bird below had already replaced its outer primaries by 4/2/02. Last Saturday
was 11/1/03, and at that point I noticed that not one single Common Tern had
yet replaced its outer primaries. We are in that critical period in between.

In contrast, almost all of the Little Terns have replaced all their outer
primaries, with just the odd one still showing worn primaries. And yet it is
still rare to find a Little Tern yet showing any yellow on its bill. It is
only days away though. I saw the first show of yellow on a Little Tern bill
on 2/1/03, but it is still a rare sight.

Mike, I have suddenly remembered something else about the tern I saw in
Caloundra, and which made quite an impression on me at the time - how could
I have forgotten? My apologies. I was managing a group at the time, and
didn't have time to write down what I was noticing. (Now there's a lesson to
us all.) There was a show of white bare part between the eye and the black
of the surrounding feathers. A thin white line in the lower rear of the eye
surround, as in the Common or Black Noddy. Have I shifted the goal posts?

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening