birding-aus

Laughing Gull 2003 update 6

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Laughing Gull 2003 update 6
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:34:27 +1000
G'day,

Ok, I've been asked to provide pre-weekend information so here goes.  The
Bribie Island Laughing Gull was present today on the beach adjacent to the
boat ramp about halfway between the bridge and the jetty (= Scoopy's).  This
was at about 2pm on a high tide.  Shortly afterwards, a dear soul pushed all
of the gulls southwards until they flew, the Laughing Gull flying out
towards Moreton Bay, disregarding the delights of Scoopy's.  At about 3pm it
was relocated on the sand spit that was re-appearing to the east of
Buckley's Hole.  This area cannot be seen from Buckley's Hole and will
require a plod over some sand together with a bit of moderate wading through
wet bits.  Alternatively, for those who don't fancy the challenge, waiting
for the tide to lower may well produce a sighting of the gull on the sand
spit that appears offshore from Buckley's Hole.  I did not wait so cannot
report back.

Nobody has offered any enlightenment as to the identity of our terns.  I've
only received questions, not answers.  Is Damara Tern a possibility?

Chhers - Trevor.