birding-aus

Walka Water Works/Maitland NSW

To: <>
Subject: Walka Water Works/Maitland NSW
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:17:50 +1100
Hi all

Had a productive trip this morning to Walka Water Works, 3 kms from Maitland CBD. Only 63 species seen  but some good highlights as follows:

Musk Ducks x 2
Freckled Ducks pair
Australasian Shoveller x 2
Pink-eared Duck   340  also calling on the wing, great to watch
Great-crested Grebe  x 4
Hoary-headed Grebe x 1
Australian Spotted Crake x 1
Spotless Crake x 1  both crakes in the same binocular view.
Little Grass Bird x 1  good views

Went on to Shortland Wetlands where there was another pair of Freckled Ducks and around 100 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 2 Red-kneed Dotterels & 8 Black-fronted Dotterels and 8 Wandering Whistling Ducks.

Ash Island was the quietest I had ever seen it. Six Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and 2 Royal Spoonbills the only birds seen on Wagtail Way!
A Spotted Crake near the railway line and another Little Grassbird. As I was driving out there was a female Stubble Quail on the road, first time I have seen this species on Ash Island.

A quick stop at Stockton Sandspit on the way home but it was low tide so waders all scattered.

Pied Oystercatchers
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers
Red-necked Stint
Eastern Curlew