birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:08:16 +1100

Although the weather conditions were far from ideal the Treatment was still jammed packed with birds.  We started at the Summer Lagoons and the first pond was a delight.  5 Godwits, Red-necked Avocet, Banded and Black winged stilts all very close together.   The waders were  in roosting; Curlew, Sharp-tailed & Marsh Sandpipers, Red-necked stints.  The birds were all massed and ideal for  ‘birdscape’ pictures with the digital camera attached to the telescope.  There were thousands of Pink-eared Duck on the adjacent lagoon.

Kirk Point was the next delight.  The Golden Plover and Ruddy Turnstones, Crested Terns, cormorants, terns and duck were on the rocks.

We entered Lake Borrie from Beach Road and there on the rock were 6 Freckled Duck and a female Darter. Hardheads and Bluebill duck were cruising around too.

Paradise Road Lagoons were a bit sparse but the two Cape Barren Geese were still there.  There were a few Royal Spoonbills on the far side of the ponds.

On Little River were Yellow Spoon bills.  (We did see a Crested Grebe there on December 27th)  As the tide was in and the wind was strong we did not go to the mouth of Little River.

On the old pier were all the cormorants and another two female darters.  There are very few birds on the Borrow Pits that are almost dry so no water no birds.  The water level in the Conservation Lagoons is very low but there were a large group of waders in roosting.

It really was a very enjoyable morning.

If you are coming Werribee way you may decided to call into the Cultural & Information Centre, there is an exhibition of Doug Blood’s ‘BIRDSCAPES’ all taken down on the Treatment Plant.

Shirley Cameron

Werribee