birding-aus

Nightjars and Button Quail

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Nightjars and Button Quail
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:57:11 +1000
Following up Trevor Quested's post about the white-eared monarchs and oriented
cuckoo up Lake Samsonvale way.

I didn't see the monarchs, cuckoo or painted snipe, but while poking about the
environs of the 'Lake' managed to flush a couple of white-throated nightjars - I
followed the darker one - no visible white on the body in flight and the habitat
was consistent with P&K's notes.

I also managed to flush a lone quail - it didn't make a racket as it flew - only
about 20 metres and I managed to see it lurking on a relatively open bit of
ground.  As usual, I cursed the stupidity of field guide authors who put quail
and button quail 100 pages apart [and who don't put gulls, terns and skuas with
the rest of the pelagic birds] while I consulted the options.  The bird had dark
wings with typical button quail hatching.  It had a dark eye and a pale eyebrow
- couldn't see its chest, but I guess the good old painted button quail is the
most likely candidate.

Had a nice view of a rose-crowned fruit dove at Lees Crossing.

Regards, Laurie.