birding-aus

Mascarene Petrel - First record for Australia

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Mascarene Petrel - First record for Australia
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 15:38:41 +1100
Hi All

I have been on a trip across the subantarctic Indian Ocean, I decided to go at short notice. On the way South of Mauritius I saw over 25 of these birds and took some photos. On the way back from Amsterdam island I/we found a feeding population of Mascarene Petrels, on one day recording at least 20 individuals - I have photos of these too. I managed to see one in Australian Waters 108 nm SW of Cape Leeuwin. I will write a submission to BARC. If accepted I believe that this will be the first Australian record.

I am posting my trip report that details this and other sightings on our trip.

I will try and publish my sighting in various places and will post when and where they are.

If you want to write to me directly you will get a quicker reply if you write to

All the best

Phil.
--
Dr Phil Hansbro