birding-aus

Oriental Cuckoo still around

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Oriental Cuckoo still around
From: Ian Montgomery <>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:40:29 +1000
On Saturday, Dec 21, 2002, at 17:46 Australia/Brisbane, Bill Jolly wrote:

We've had nine cuckoo spp in the garden so far this December.

I've been tripping over Cuckoos around Townsville lately too. On Wednesday evening when I was in search of Varied Honeyeaters at Rowes Bay, a Pheasant Coucal posed for a photo on a suburban footpath. Yesterday morning, I photographed one of three Koels and a Channel-billed Cuckoo in the back garden. Yesterday evening, following up a report from local birders - Chris and Len Ezzy - I photographed an Oriental Cuckoo in the Rainforest Section of the Palmetum. This morning, I made an unsuccessful attempt to photograph a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater in the front garden (around here, a rare refugee from the drought) but got, you guessed it, an obliging Brush Cuckoo instead.

I've put the results up on my website; <http://www.users.bigpond.com/ian.montgomery/>

Cheers,
Ian

Ian Montgomery Townsville North Queensland Australia