birding-aus

Waders killed at Broome.

Subject: Waders killed at Broome.
From: Kym Bennet <>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:44:29 +1100 (EST)
Hi all

I have received a concerning report sent by two
disgruntled participants of the recent Broome wader
and tern banding (leg flagging) expedition, informing
of a large number of birds killed and injured during
the wader cannon netting operations.

Please would any one else with precise knowledge of
these facts send me details urgently.  I will not
reveal the source of any information unless requested
but have indicated i am willing to publish details of
confirmed complaints.

Although I am not a spokesman for any anti bird
banding group my objection to the leg flagging of
migratory waders is well known. I will take these
matters up providing that information re such
incidents are confirmed.

My reason for doing this is not to embarrass any of
the Broome expedition participants but to expose the
great harm caused under the mistaken belief that wader
leg flagging aids wildlife conservation.

Because of its associated high mortality, the moral
ethics of wader leg flagging should be seriously
questioned as far more harm is done than good derived
from the small amount of information returned.

Regards

Kym Bennet

Carnegie, Vic

http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
- Send your seasons greetings online this year!