birding-aus

Re: Calamanthus in the Sydney region

To: <>
Subject: Re: Calamanthus in the Sydney region
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:27:26 +1100
Carol Proberts writes:
There is also a record of an immature at Mountain Lagoon in February 1979
(in J.&P. Smith "Fauna of the Blue Mountains", 1990), though at the moment
I know no more details of this record, or who saw it.

I was with Athol Colemane when we went up to Mountain Lagoon to look for
this bird in 1979.  We dipped. I am not sure who the original sighter was.

I was also out at Towra Point looking for the Calamanthus after John Waugh
had seen it.  Dipped again.  I am pleased to read that Judy & Neil have
found it again.

Mery Christmas everyone.  Thanks to all those who passed on information for
where the birds are so others could enjoy the pleasure.  I hope you see a
lot of good birds over the break.

Trevor Quested
Sydney, Australia

PS. I don't think we used the word "dipped" in 1979.  I think it went like
this:
"Did you see the bird?"
"Nup, couldn't find it and looked for ages!"