birding-aus

Spotlight problems

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Spotlight problems
From: "Allan Benson" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:23:32 +1100
I have a sealed lead/acid  12V rechargeable battery that I use to power my spotlight. It should provide about an hours use before going flat but it conked out after ten minutes and I wasn't able to recharge it.

I took it back to Battery World and they  found  no problem with the battery or the recharger.  After a long conversation with the very helpful salesperson I discovered the plug in recharger will not or will have trouble recharging the battery if the charge in the battery has less than about 10 V charge remaining.  This means that once the spotlight starts to dim it is wise to stop using it and recharge the battery. I had run down the battery thinking the battery had "memory".  I know now that this concept only applies to nicad type batteries.

Battery World were able to fully recharge the battery so hopefully there will be no further problems.

Allan

PS Battery World can supply a battery with "cigarette lighter" adaptor and carry case for about $80.

Allan Benson
Ourimbah
NSW
43627189