birding-aus

Use of tapes (RH, RW)

To: <>
Subject: Use of tapes (RH, RW)
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:26:43 +1100
That may be so and is what adds weight to the situation that in this case mimicry may be used as an additional method of at least temporarily attempting to keep a piece of feeding resource to itself. However when there IS mimicry (as in I wrote "Regent Honeyeaters' mimicry of Red Wattlebirds and Little Wattlebirds") they STILL respond, indicating that the mimicry is understood as being of some relevance to the model. I didn't detect any strong response of Red Wattlebirds to playback of normal calls of a Regent Honeyeater, well not enough on a few tries to suspect anything was happening. This is in the absence of any visual cues of any bird making the sound, just me and a machine. This is in direct contrast to all other cases of bird mimicry. Other birds being mimicked by Lyrebirds for example don't respond to the Lyrebird as though it was their own species. The point of this special case is that the does model respond to the mimicry by another bird species of its own species.

Philip