birding-aus

Another Black-backed (Little) Bittern for Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Another Black-backed (Little) Bittern for Sydney
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:09:11 +1100
David Mitford phoned me yesterday that another Black-backed (Little) Bittern (possibly a pair) was seen yesterday morning at the East Lakes Ponds in Botany (very close to Sydney's busy international airport) along with some other good birds. This has certainly turned out to be a good place to bird this season (various Crakes, waders, Terns, several White-winged Trillers, Dollarbirds etc) but I have not yet a chance to explore it as yet.

I'd expect more of these Bitterns (which appear more or so regular each year in Sydney and more common esp. in drought conditions) to be in other places, so check any wetland with suitable cover wherever you live. As many observers have found, these gems are not always that elusive and often put on a good show.

Edwin Vella