birding-aus

Australian Shelduck

To: <>
Subject: Australian Shelduck
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:48:01 +1100
Hi all,

On Friday morning (22nd Nov) I saw a lone female Australian Shelduck (Mountain Duck) on the shore beside Dora Ck at Avondale (Central Coast NSW). This is close to the Northern limit of this species' range and is the first one I've seen in this area, although I remember one being reported at Fennnel Bay on Lake Macquarie in the late 80s early 90s. I was struck by its large size relative to the Black Ducks, Teal and Hardheads nearby. Has anybody tried domesticating this species (or any Australian ducks)?
Paul Osborn