birding-aus

Objective research?

To: Scott O'Keeffe <>
Subject: Objective research?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 14:32:11 +1100
This is getting very boring as if the necessary range of
longitudinal data capture is not fairly obvious.

That said purists might say we need a double-blind trial to
ensure that the behaviour of flagged birds is not affected
by that of non-flagged birds - or vice-versa.

The political, community and other issues are being
ignored.  Those leg-flags are? a wonderful way of involving
people along the flyway ? See http://www.tasweb.com.au/awsg/

And in relation to data - never forget they are in the past
and what matters is the future. And if they are just about
"nature" never forget that the species that can save
"nature" is Homo sapiens.

Conservation is about people ! And from that angle I know
from bitter personal experience that some of the AWSG care
much more for birds than me - and that we have recently
identified a major threat to our blue-tongue lizards as
being commercial trapping - by people.

Some of the niceties being demanded by anti-leg-flaggers are
as refined as demanding that a contributor to this list
providing evidence that s/he is not really intending to eat
Sanderlings.

I haven't tried.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife