birding-aus

sanderling numbers

To: steven stevenson <>,
Subject: sanderling numbers
From: Kym Bennet <>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:36:55 +1100 (EST)
Well steven stevenson. Could you be related to Shane
Warner, the masterbat man?

Your ability to count is exceeded only by your writing
skills.

In the past few years more than 650 Sanderling have
been flagged in the area described in my earlier post.
The number could be greater but i do not have the
figures.

During Feb/March 2002 the maximum number of Sanderling
found in the area was only 586 birds, down from 1098
counted in March 1998. For more than 40 years the
population has hovered around 1000+ and there has been
little fluctuation until leg flagging commenced.

Even allowing for some natural regeneration, The
decline of this Sanderling population since March 1998
correlates to an almost complete kill caused by leg
flagging.

As stated previously, the banders/flagging protocol
endorsed by Environment Australia is a confused
document but seems to indicate a 1% criteria rule for
targeting a population of waders for leg flagging. 650
out of a population of 1100 birds indicates that the
protocol is ignored.

cheers

Kym

 --- steven stevenson <>