birding-aus

Use of tapes

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Use of tapes
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:24:36 +1100
G'day All,

I've done my share of warning people not to use tapes in the bush as a regular birdwatching device. It's something I have never done, although I have used a tape to call up birds for a TV special. Even then I used the programme to try to get the message across to people to not use tapes as a "matter of course."

So what I'm wondering about ~ have OFTEN wondered about ~ is exactly what's the difference between using a tape and "squeaking" up birds with a hand or lips, or one of those clever little wood 'n metal contraptions.

This squeaking up of birds is an accepted way of getting birds to come out of their hidey-holes and say hello to the birder, standing with binoculars at the ready. Isn't this also a disturbing factor? Don't the birds come to that squeaking sound to see if it's an intruder or a predator?

General thoughts on this would be very welcome.

Judie Peet (Dubbo NSW)
(The only thing certain about bird watching is that nothing's certain!)