birding-aus

Use of tapes

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Use of tapes
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:05:56 +1100
on 21/11/02 1:27 PM, Bill Jolly at  wrote:

> Following on from David Geering and Vicki Powys comments, I'd like to
> encourage some discussion on this topic.
>
> It isn't something I know much about. I've got all the BOC tapes, and I find
> them a useful aid for cross-checking calls I've heard, or for preparing for
> a trip into unfamiliar territory. But I've got mixed feelings about the idea
> of using tapes or mp3s in attempt to get a better view of a bird, or a call
> in response.....

> It occurs to me that if we can't be definitive, it might be better not to do
> it at all....

All of your comments are valid Bill, especially your last remark.  The BOCA
tapes are great for learning the calls, and to use for reference in the
field, but NOT to use for playback.

> One hears of locations where tapes are often used to attract
> forest species to show themselves. Is this a good or a bad thing?

It is an appalling intrusion, in my humble opinion.

Birds respond to playback because they are defending their territories.
Some birds may vacate their territory altogether, others might waste time in
checking out the newcomer and for example, their nest might be depradated in
the meantime.  Playback of the calls of predatory or more aggressive birds
may cause distress to other bird species.  There are undoubtedly occasions,
especially outside the breeding season, when playback may be less intrusive
to a species, but we simply can't predict what effect playback may have on
our target species.  There is no general rule, each species may respond
differently to playback.

For people who record bird song, it is well known that a recording made of a
bird singing in response to playback is an unnatural recording.  If you
spend a lot of time watching bird behaviour, you will soon see that birds
have a difficult time of it, constantly watching for predators, rivals etc.
Consider it a privilege to be able to quietly observe birds and please don't
meddle with their lives by "playing God" with playback.

Vicki Powys
Capertee Valley NSW