birding-aus

Tiritiri and Leopard Seal

To: <>
Subject: Tiritiri and Leopard Seal
From: "David Andrew & Robyn Coventry" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:29:36 +1100
Many thanks to everyone who responded to my RFI for Tiritiri Matangi Island in New Zealand's North Island ... the visit was a great success, with all target birds duly recorded except Brown Teal, which has disappeared from the pond near the wharf ... guides suspect they may be breeding, but I searched all accessible ponds on the island to no avail ... luckily I found a pair at Waikanae Estuary (opposite Kapiti Island at the south-west end of North Island) a few days later. Tiritiri is a lovely spot, a great conservation story and a must for any birder visiting North Island.
I also had superb views of wild Brown Kiwis at Aroha Island in the Bay of Islands and can supply details for anyone interested. Apart from Stewart Island, this may be the best place now to see this species.
I looked fruitlessly for the Leopard Seal at Patterson lakes on the weekend ... if anyone knows of sightings more recent than last week, please let me know.
Many thanks