birding-aus

A day in the Lockyer

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A day in the Lockyer
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:57:57 +1000
A good Saturday in the valley, 113 species - mostly non-passerine - without
going into any woodland.

So many birds, I'll just try to relate some of the highlights without using
any adjectives:

23 Freckled Duck on the pond opposite Lake Atkinson.

Great-crested Grebe at Lake Dyer.

Swamp Harrier nearby (Spotted Harrier yesterday).

2 Black Falcons close to Lake Clarendon.

Black-tailed Native-hen at Lake Galletly.

Latham's Snipe at Lake Apex.

5 Painted Snipe, 1 female and four males. (Nicci Thompson found them a week
ago at a new location on private property).

About 14 Banded Lapwings in one paddock (20+ the other day).

Red-necked Avocets everywhere.

Tawny Frogmouth trying to sit on 2 very big youngsters.

White-throated Needletail.

White-backed Swallows exploring a possible nest site.

I think 'big' was the only bird-related adjective.

Tomorrow we're having a go at the woodland.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056