birding-aus

29th September, 2002 SOSSA PELAGIC TRIP, WOLLONGONG, NSW, AUSTRALIA.

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: 29th September, 2002 SOSSA PELAGIC TRIP, WOLLONGONG, NSW, AUSTRALIA.
From: Peter Milburn <>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:41:47 +1100
29th September, 2002 SOSSA PELAGIC TRIP, WOLLONGONG, NSW, AUSTRALIA.

Report prepared by: P.J. Milburn.

Departed: 07:30 returned at approx. 13:00.
Sea conditions: SW 2.0 to 2.5m offshore.
Swell:  S 2.0 to 3.0m offshore.
Weather: Sunshine with patches of high cloud.
Temperature range: 15.0 to 22.0°C.
Barometric pressure: 1015 HPa rising.
Wind: SW 20 to 25kts.
Sea surface temperature: 15.8 to 17.4°C.
Primary chumming location: North of Bass Point!!

A low-pressure system in the Tasman Sea and a high-pressure system in the
Great Australian Bight generated a stiff southwesterly breeze overnight.
The hardy contingent of international visitors dispelled any notion of
canceling this trip.  It was a case of donning the waterproof gear and
hanging on tightly!

The unruly seas enforced a SSE course that saw us edging out towards the
continental slope.  Once we were clear of the 5 Island Group, the seabirds
were thick around us.  An adult WHISKERED TERN was a complete surprise
among the typical early spring species, since this was the first time that
this species has been recorded on a Wollongong Pelagic Trip.

After more than 2 hours of punching into the sea we reached the 70-fathom
mark and almost immediately lost our cohort of seabirds.  Conditions were
very poor for observing birds and with the prospect of another 2 hours of
significant discomfort ahead before we reached the continental slope we
elected to run back to more sheltered waters.  Chumming heavily we sought
shelter in the lee of Bass Point.  Our unusual ploy, the brainchild of the
skipper (Capt. Carl Loves), paid handsome dividends.  We attracted no less
than 6 species of albatross to the boat some 150m offshore from the car
park in windy but calm conditions!  Interestingly, the numerous shearwaters
refused to follow us into the sheltered waters.

Passing through the 5 Island Group on our way back to port we encountered a
large group of White-fronted Terns with a small number of Common Terns
among them.

Highlights:

The adult WHISKERED TERN was the first record of this species on a
Wollongong Pelagic Trip.  Under trying circumstances, the 6 species of
albatross attracted to the boat less than 150m offshore represented a major
surprise!

Birds recorded according to the latest Environment Australia Reporting
Schedule:

Species code:                   Species name:           Numbers:

(Note: numbers in parenthesis = highest count at any one time)

929 Southern Giant-Petrel Macronectes giganteus  1
083 Fairy Prion Pachyptila turtur 2 (1)
068 Fluttering Shearwater Puffinus gavia 150+ (100+)
913 Hutton's Shearwater P. huttoni 31 (20)
069 Wedge-tailed Shearwater P. pacificus 45 (35)
070 Sooty Shearwater P. griseus 1
071 Short-tailed Shearwater P. tenuirostris 30 (25)
847 Gibson's Albatross, Diomedea gibsoni 2 (1)
088 Black-browed Albatross Thalassarche melanophrys  11 (6)
859 Campbell Albatross T. impavida 1
091 Shy Albatross T. cauta 1
861 White-capped Albatross T. steadi  3 (3)
864 Indic Yellow-nosed Albatross T. carteri  2 (2)
104 Australasian Gannet Morus serrator 6 (4)
106 Australian Pelican Pelicanus conspicillatus 1
980 Brown Skua Catharacta lonnbergi 2 (1)
981 Kelp Gull Larus dominicanus 7 (5)
125 Silver Gull L. novaehollandiae 600+ (400+)
110 WHISKERED TERN Chlidonias hybrida 1
114 White-fronted Tern Sterna striata 41 (35)
115 Crested Tern S. bergii 35+ (30+)
953 Common Tern S. hirundo  6 (6)

In the harbour:

096 Great Cormorant Phalacrocorax carbo 1
097 Little Black Cormorant P. sulcirostris 6
101 Australian Darter Anhinga melanogaster 1 male
106 Australian Pelican Pelicanus conspicillatus 6
115 Crested Tern Sterna bergii 1

22 species of seabird identified outside the breakwater.

Mammals:

Short-beaked Common Dolphin Delphinus delphis 6

Future Trips:

All Pelagic Trips from NSW are operated at no profit to the organisers
being operated as group boat charters for the benefit of all who wish
to join us.  If you would like to join one of these trips please contact us
as below:

To make a booking on the SOSSA Wollongong Pelagic Trips that depart on the
4th Saturday of each month contact:

SOSSA: Phone 02 4271 6004.
Email:

Carl Loves Phone: 0427 423 500

Pete Milburn: Mobile 0428 249 506, 02 6255 1313 (AH) or 02 6125 4173 (BH)

To make a booking for Sydney Pelagics,
which depart on the 2nd Saturday of each month contact

Tony Palliser Ph; 02-99001678 (w), 02-94115272  (h)
http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser

To make a booking for Eden Pelagics which are run on the 5th
Sunday of each month it occurs.

Barbara Jones or Ph (02) 6495 7390
<>

Note: SOSSA = Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association

Dr P.J. Milburn
Biomolecular Resource Facility
Australian National University
GPO Box 334