birding-aus

Edithvale Wetlands in SE Melbourne

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Edithvale Wetlands in SE Melbourne
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:42:32 -0000

Yesterday, Geoff Walker & I did our monthly census of birds at the Edithvale Wetlands (Melway map 93). Notable among the 64 species recorded, were an Australasian Bittern, (always present from late autumn to early spring but normally gone by November), 4 Baillon's Crakes, 4 Australian Spotted Crakes, 10 Marsh Sandpipers, 1 PECTORAL SANDPIPER, nearly 3,000 SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPERS, 140 Black-winged Stilts, 2 Red-kneed Dotterels, 95 Whiskered Terns and a Sacred Kingfisher. For those that don't know, over 500 pairs of Clamorous Reed Warblers breed here and they were in fine voice.

The swamp south of Edithvale Road is starting to dry out but should be good for a few weeks.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136