birding-aus

ASIT trip to Pambalong, Stockton & Ash Island 9/11/02

To: <>
Subject: ASIT trip to Pambalong, Stockton & Ash Island 9/11/02
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:10:38 +1100
Hi Birders,
The Australian Special Interest Tours (ASIT) coach trip to the Wattagan Mountains, south west of Newcastle NSW was diverted to the lower Hunter Region instead yesterday because of the threat of bushfires in the Wattagan NP and adjoining State Forests, however a good day was had by the 20 participants!

Our first stop was Pambalong Swamp NR where the commonest bird was the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper! At least 400 were present, but the only other waders seen were a few Red-kneed Dotterels, Red-necked Stints and Masked Lapwings. c 20 Yellow-billed Spoonbill were scattered around the wetland while Grey Teal were the most abundant waterfowl and there were a few each of the other common ducks including a Black Duck with 3 ducklings. Summer migrants were noticeable and calling loudly including Sacred Kingfisher, Rufous Whistler, Dollarbird, Pallid & Channel-billed Cuckoo and White-breasted Woodswallows. A nest with 3 juvenile Magpielarks was seen, a pair of Black-shouldered Kites fed around the area, and Tree Martins and Welcome Swallows were common. (In the distance we observed a tall wader with a white cap, white upperparts and grey underparts wading around the waters edge, and we tentatively indentified it as Michaelus newmanii!).

Our next stop was the recently upgraded Stockton Sandspit. With the mangroves all removed and the sandspit cleared of vegetation, good numbers of waders have been re-using the spit as a high tide roost. We were not disappointed this day with about 450 Eastern Curlews, 200 Avocets, 30 Pacific Golden Plover, 12 Pied Oystercatchers, 1 Caspian & Gull-billed Tern and a few Red-capped Plovers & Red-necked Stints being present. However our enjoyment was short-lived when 2 sedans drove onto the sandspit and did a few wheelies on the sand! All the Curlews departed back to the dykes but fortunately one of the vehicles became bogged in the sand and was still in that predicament when we left. It would be good if the managemnt authority for the Spit could gate the reserve off when work is not being carried out there!

We continued onto Stockton, obtaining good views of a Common Sandpiper and 6 Grey-tailed Tattlers on the wreck en route. We lunched near Stockton Ferry wharf where we had good views of Common Terns, about 10+ Whiskered terns (some in breeding plumage) and at least one White-winged Black Tern feeding just inside Newcastle Harbour! The sea breeze made the lunch time spot a pleasant location

On our return we called at Ash Island, but here, away from the sea, it was very hot in the early afternoon. More Sharpies (c.100), 60 Black-winged Stilts, all the egrets and more Grey Teal were present, as well as 20+ Common Grenshanks and 20+ Marsh Sandpipers, and a few Black-fronted Plovers. The birds were swooped at by a Brown Falcon and then a Marsh Harrier.

Our final stop was at the Gravel Pit Swamp, Minmi where amongst the many ducks of all persuasions were 40 Pinkears and 12 Shovelers, c 12 Hoary-headed Grebes, 3 Royal Spoonbills, a Horsfield Bronze-Cuckoo, Cisticolas, Reedwarblers, a Marsh Harrier and atleast another 400+ Sharpies. Altogether a good day, plenty of birds to see, 90 species in total and despite the hazy conditions and the hot afternoon,  everyone had a good time.