birding-aus

Red-chested Button-quail at Mt Mee State Forest SEQ

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Red-chested Button-quail at Mt Mee State Forest SEQ
From: "Gavin Goodyear" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:06:34 +1000
G'day All,

Came across at least to Red-chested Button-quail at Mt Mee State Forest  ( NW of Brisbane ) this morning. One was sighted feeding along the track just past the Neurum Campground turnoff on Neurum Creek Road. At first glance I thought it was an immature Painted Button-quail due to small size and basic dorsal coloration. When I got out the car to have a better look I noticed the pattern was different, the breast was reddish rufous, the eyes were whitish and the legs fleshy pink. The bird was observed over about 15min during which time it foraged along the track to about 60m away then turned around and approached to within 4m away. It then went into the scrub where I noticed another foraging.

The habitat was timbered on the edge of the gully of a feeder creek which runs into Neurum Ck. I have been birding this State Forest for about 13yrs and the only species of Button-quail I have recorded here is Painted (which occurs where RCBQ was recorded today). The only other sighting I have had of this species was an eye level flyby by one in Feb last year at Samsonvale in more typical habitat (rank grassland).

Also White-winged Trillers still present at Gold Scrub Lane Samsonvale as well as a Little Bronze-cuckoo.

Cheers
Gavin Goodyear
Petrie. Qld