birding-aus

A Cup weekend away

Subject: A Cup weekend away
From: "Tim Bawden" <>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:15:46 +1100
Gday all

Went away for a few days to Central Gippsland, to see my parents and to relax a
bit. Vistied the Mitchell River and The Lakes National Parks as well as
spending a fair bit of time at my parents place on Lake Reeve. Went with my
girlfriend who is a definite non birder so it meant that stopping while doing
100 to check out that possible Spotted Harrier was frowned upon and spending
more than 2 minutes trying to work out those little brown birds in the canopy
was a no no. Still managed to get around 100 birds including one new one for me.

The highlights included -
-  A pair of White-bellied Sea Eagles cruising around my parents place,
harassing the local populace ;-)
-  Flocks of 100's of whiskered Terns in breeding plumage on Lake Reeve
-  Sitting within a couple of meters of a large mixed group of small waders
working the mud and shallows. Great practice for my woeful id skills, managed
to pick out Red-necked Stint, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and Curlew Sandpiper.
There was another individual on its own which the best match I could come up
with was a Pectoral Sandpiper, but i wouldnt put the house on it. What is the
best field guide for these beasties? They all seem to vary on each species...
-  Brown Gerygones, Rose Robins, Rufous Fantails, Whistlers and other birds
tantalisingly out of sight in the rainforest canopy near the Den of Nargun at
Mitchell River. The Brown Gerygone being a new species for me.
-  Watching small terns at the Lakes N.P. for the best part of an hour and
being 95% convinced they were Little Terns.

All in all a relaxing weekend with some crazy weather.

Cheers
Tim