birding-aus

Hillston birdwatching

Subject: Hillston birdwatching
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 20:33:25 +1100
Hello all,

I've just returned from a quick 24 hr trip up to the western side of Nombinnie NR (central NSW, 100 km north of Hillston) and back. Overall, bird activity wasn't high. Its quite dry up there at the moment, although not as dry as further north.

Some of the things seen included:
Wallanthery (yesterday afternoon)- Brown Treecreeper, Masked Woodswallow, Diamond Firetail, Varied Sittella, Western Gerygone, Jacky Winter and amazingly the Red-browed Pardalote! This isn't the first one seen in the northern Riverina. Others have found them in three locations over the last week or two but this was the first time that I've found them in the Riverina.
Nombinnie NR (Mileys Trail)- Australian Owlet-nightjar (3+). While recording owlet-nightjar I think I picked up bat echolocation signals on my DAT recorder. The bats were at times flying within 1 foot of the end of my microphone! I haven't put them on computer yet to see whether I can identify them.
Also, Grey-fronted Honeyeater, Rainbow Bee-eater (nest in road), Gilberts Whistler (1). The only GiW found despite searching in many locations. Sang well though and I got about 6 minutes of audio including a call that I haven't recorded before.
Railway Track- Spotted Bowerbird, White-fronted Honeyeater, Shy Heathwren, Red-lored Whistler (1). The only RLW found despite searching in many locations. Didn't sing as well as the Gilberts but I think I recorded another new call. If it is it makes the tenth different call that I've recorded in Nombinnie and Round Hill NRs.
Lake Cargelligo- Mt Hope Rd (Booberoi Creek Crossing)- Double-barred Finch and a tiny Yellow-faced Whip-snake.

Cheers

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW