birding-aus

Red-tailed Tropicbird at Long Reef

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Red-tailed Tropicbird at Long Reef
From: "Bob Way" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:10:09 +1100
While waiting to tee-off on the 14th at Long Reef (Sydney's Northern
Beaches) this afternoon I happened to look up at the radio controlled model
aeroplanes (gliders) flying in the updraught created at a vertical section
of the headland.  There were about 6 of them.  Imagine my surprise when I
realised that soaring with them was a Red-tailed Tropicbird!   It stayed in
close association with the planes for a few minutes before drifting away
towards the sea/rock-shelf.
I understand that these birds are only occasional visitors to these parts,
mostly turning up over offshore waters in Summer/Autumn.  Is this a bit
early for them?  Further, has anyone else seen birds associate with model
aeroplanes in this way?
Bob