birding-aus

Weekend on King Island

Subject: Weekend on King Island
From: Deb Colbourne <>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:39:01 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,
Just a note as we have just returned from a long
weekend on King Island having been thwarted on every
other trip we tried to make due to work committments!
We decided on somewhere green and wet as we'd
forgotten what that looked like. We had a very
pleasant few days, a bit of bracing sea walking,
serious cheese tasting, and whatever birds happened to
come our way. The feral imports were very much in
evidence, suicidal Turkeys, Common Pheasants and
Peacocks, as well as the smaller ones, Goldfinch etc.
We also had a serendipitous encounter with a pair of
California Quail on the side of the road up in the
north west of the island. Notables were Hooded Plover,
YT Black Cockatoos, many Ducky Robins, thousands of
shearwater coming in at dusk, Little Penguin, Green
Rosella. All in all, 60 species, not bad going. If
anyone would like any info. they can contact us,
Cheers
Debbie and Julian