birding-aus

Good news from Cyprus

Subject: Good news from Cyprus
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:50:15 -0400
Subject : [proactupdates] CYPRUS - Excellent action by the Game Service
Date : Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:16:16 -0000

The Cyprus Game Service received criticism fron SONG BIRD EATERS for
a very public demonstration of law enforcement.

I say WQELL DONE and I am sue all other readers feel the same.

David Conlin

-x-x-x-x-x-x-

Hunters demand game service chief's resignation over raids

By Alex Mita

THE 'FRIENDS of the _Ambelopoulia_' Association yesterday called for
the immediate resignation of Game Service Director Pantelis
Hadjiyerou, after Wednesday night's surprise raids in restaurants in
Larnaca that resulted in the seizure of nearly 5,000 birds.

The president of the Larnaca District Friends of the _Ambelopoulia_
told CyBC the behaviour of the Game Wardens was unacceptable.

"We have called for the resignation of Pantelis Hadjiyerou because
his wardens' behaviour was not becoming," he said.

"They could have raided the restaurants when there weren't any
customers there. Instead, they stormed the place and took the food
out of people's plates.

"The birds are stored in refrigerators and they knew that so they
could have come any other time before the restaurants were full of
people."

But Hadjiyerou said his men reacted well within the law, adding that
if the wardens had raided the place earlier it wouldn't have made
any difference.

"I don't think it would make much difference what time the Game
Service raided the restaurants," he said.

"Whatever time we went we would have found exactly the same thing."

Hadjiyerou was furious when asked by CyBC radio why Game Service
Wardens were carrying handguns when they raided the restaurants,
saying the wardens should be congratulated instead of reprimanded.

"The issue is not whether they were carrying handguns," he said.

"Are we trying to find ways to accuse these people who did their
work exceptionally well by seizing 5,000 birds? Is this what your
are trying to do?

"People don't understand that by catching these birds and selling
them in restaurants they are shaming their country. We should be
thanking the wardens for risking their lives day by day to uphold
the law. My men receive threats to their lives on a daily basis,"
Hadjiyerou said.

Interior Minister Andreas Panayiotou yesterday jumped to
Hadjiyerou's defence, saying the Game Service director was a
dedicated man.

"Mr Hadjiyerou is one of the most highly regarded scientists of the
Game Service and his only flaw is that during his career he followed
the law to the letter," he said.

"There is no chance that Hadjiyerou will be asked to resign."

Asked whether Game Service wardens were breaking the law by raiding
the restaurants in uniform, Panayiotou said the wardens had every
right to carry out an investigation.

"The law states that any member of the police force can enter any
premises without a warrant, should he suspect that he would find
illegally trapped prey."

Copyright Cyprus Mail 2002