birding-aus

[Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Welcome Swallow nests - timing and locations.]

To: "" <>
Subject: [Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Welcome Swallow nests - timing and locations.]
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:58:43 +1000
--- Begin Message ---
Subject: Welcome Swallow nests - timing and locations.
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:56:58 +1000
 wrote:

> I've been going through the four main field guides.  On my
> rough count only one says much about swallow nests although
> all seem to think the species is well represented.
>
> ALL nests around here that I have found in an attempt to
> help Prue Simmonds, who sent a request to this list, are on
> artificial structures.  In fact the more artificial the
> better, like inside toilets, under porches....  (Past
> records include inside yachts).  How can field guides refer
> to large flocks if breeding opportunities are this limited ?
>
> Further breeding activity this year seems late. Any ideas
> why ?
>
> Michael Norris
> A rarity is anything you have found time to stop and
> appreciate
Dear Michael - I do like your signature quote!
   In the inland I have seen the nests of both Welcome Swallows and
Bottle Swallows, sorry, Fairy Martins of course, built on the underside
of a sloping tree. I have a slide somewhere of the Martins' nests -
don't think I bothered about the Welcome Swallows which did not seem to
be in use. But I've not yet heard of a Tree Martin building in anything
but a hollow branch.
  Gould's illustration of both WS and FM show the nests attached to
trees. Incidentally, he discovered the Fairy Martin for science by
putting his head out of a window in a pub in Maitland NSW - he'd noticed
a different twitter. The birds had nested in the window frames so they
had taken to human structures by 1839 or thereabouts.
 Anthea Fleming in Ivanhoe

--- End Message ---