birding-aus

December 2002 Outback Solar Eclipse

Subject: December 2002 Outback Solar Eclipse
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:15:22 +1000

Hello Everyone and good to be part of the list,

This is my first posting after suscribing yesterday and  I'm hoping my first  email is on topic and wont be condsidered part of the spam that seems to be the focus of discussion atm. : )

Anyway,  I was just wondering if any groups are organising trips to view the total solar eclipse in South Australia to note the impact it has on wildlife in the area (especially birds)???

I think this provides an excellent opportunity for Australians to gain an insight into the behaviour of native species during a solar eclipse and think it would be great if  a collaborative effort was made to take and exchange notes on the event.

Solar eclipses can have a dramatic effect on wildlife, including strange biological changes. For instance, it was recorded by the ancient Egyptians that a female baboon menstruates at the precise moment of totality.

I believe the Sacred Ibis is also effected by the event in a noticeable way and may be worth close observation

I found this article on the web that investigates the effects of solar eclipses on waterbirds:

http://www.oregonvos.net/~rbayer/lincoln/eclipse.htm

Total Solar eclipses are relatively rare events and the December 2002 eclipse in Australia is an excellent opportunity for European Australians to observe  and record the native habitat in this unique cosmological state. But please, there is 60,000 years +  of knowledge hidden in the outback, so talk to the locals and embrace the flow of natural heritage back into the world.

Regards,
Peter