birding-aus

Birds going bonkers

To: Brian Fleming <>, Tony Russell <>
Subject: Birds going bonkers
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:57:35 -0700 (PDT)

G'day Antie Anff and Unca Tones,

I've seen Rainbow and Musk Lauries doing the "Galah" thang! hanging around right side up here in Oz, making one think they are fine English parrots, they tend to do this here locally in the warm Oz rain, when we DO get it rain that is. They carry on like Tones does before he has his barf, much singing and attempting to immitate "Luciano" in the bath. That's Bath Australia NOT Bath UK.

Aaah the joys of orphaned young ringed plovers and sleepless in Seattle! or was that Hastings :^D>>> Ooroo JAG De Whag

Brian Fleming <> wrote:

Tony Russell wrote:

Morning all,

We are currently having a very heavy soaking sort of drizzle falling in NE Adelaide and the Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets are going absolutely bonkers, the noise is deafening. Does anyone know just why this happens ? Is it just pure exhuberation on their part or is there some functionality in the activity ?

Curious.
Anton.
Perhaps the Lorikeets view it as a chance to rain-bathe en masse. I've seen this behaviour after a dry spell and I agree, it's noisy. I've also seen 'keets in a large aviary rush about screaming in apparent excitement when their owner turned on a spray to water the plants in the aviary. They also bathe themselves by rubbing themselves through clumps of wet leaves after rain or heavy dew.
Anff in Ivanhoe

Do you Yahoo!?
faith.yahoo.com