birding-aus

Mystery Parrot

Subject: Mystery Parrot
From: J and A Flack <>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:12:31 +1000 (EST)
About 18 months or so ago I reported seeing a green
parrot locally with a flock of galahs. At the time I
thought it was probably a female Superb Parrot.

Well, it?s back again. Now it hangs about with mostly
with one Galah, and they seem oddly like companions or
mates in the way they interact ? quite comical to
watch them waddling about together. The green one
loves dandelion heads!

As to what the mystery bird is, I?m still not sure. It
does resemble a female Superb Parrot. Open up your
Morcombe field guide, if you have one, and look at his
picture of the female. Mentally delete the orange/red
?trouser legs? ? make them green. Put a slight blue
wash on the top of the head, and perhaps a spot of
yellow/orange above the bill (this might be just its
cere though, I couldn?t get my ?good? binocs out
quickly enough to see for sure). This is what this
bird looks like. Perhaps it is a foreign species?
Whatever it is, it?s  plainly a survivor!

Jan Flack
West Brunswick, Melbourne.

http://mobile.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger for SMS
- Always be connected to your Messenger Friends