birding-aus

*Dead Birds society*

Subject: *Dead Birds society*
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 21:26:43 +1000
Hi John & others

I can't tell what might be causing these bird deaths from this far across the
bay, but a few years ago we had a similar problem here at Geelong Grammar
(where I live but no longer work).  A contractor had been hired to control the
burgeoning rabbit population, and he'd apparently put out baits laced with
Pendone (think that's the stuff?).  He didn't follow the correct procedures
(and perhaps wasn't licenced to use this compound) -  a few dozen wild birds
and a couple of family dogs were poisoned.  One or both of the dogs survived
but families with children got more than a little hostile.  Pressure was put on
the school to do something and they followed it through - I can't remember the
exact outcome, but I think the contractor was fined a 4-figure amount.

This was about 6 or 7 years ago and the details are sketchy, but it could well
be something of this nature.  There was a similar poisoning spree at a council
tip near Collinsville in Qld 3 or 4 years ago - Fenthane that time?  Sorry -
need a farmer or chemist to come up with the names, but there are some highly
toxic chemicals used on farms that, if not laid properly, can cause havoc.

Ian Temby and Martin O'Brien were a huge help in the GGS case and will probably
read this story when they get to their offices next week.  Perhaps you could
correct my errors and fill in the gaps, please, gentlemen?

Cheers

Russell

John Gamblin (who is sometimes "Penn Gwynn" for those new to this forum) wrote:

> Two hours ago whilst at my public library doing my emails I recieved a phone
> call from a good friend of mine John Wilson, a very good friend of many years
> standing, we worked together at Lysaghts/BHP for many happy shifts.
>
> I hold his judgement on issues in the highest esteem.
>
> John phoned me asking "What do I do mate?" "What's up" I reply? he then tells
> me over the past three days he has had 14 birds on his property, wild birds
> of mixed species, all with toes pointed skyward. He describes the death
> scene. So I do some checking.

---
Russell Woodford
Music & Info Systems
Sacred Heart College Geelong

http://web.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/music/auralonline.html
VCE Music Mailing List:

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email.
If received in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and all
copies. The College does not guarantee that this email is virus or error free.
The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting
directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence
of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this email are not
necessarily those of the College.