birding-aus

*Dead Birds society*

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: *Dead Birds society*
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:36:07 -0700 (PDT)

G'day All,

For all those that an email of this nature and title might disturb please DO NOT read on.

Two hours ago whilst at my public library doing my emails I recieved a phone call from a good friend of mine John Wilson, a very good friend of many years standing, we worked together at Lysaghts/BHP for many happy shifts.

I hold his judgement on issues in the highest esteem.

John phoned me asking "What do I do mate?" "What's up" I reply? he then tells me over the past three days he has had 14 birds on his property, wild birds of mixed species, all with toes pointed skyward. He describes the death scene. So I do some checking.

RSPCA won't handle it?

LOCAL COUNCIL won't handle it?

So I finally get through to Sheridan? I hope that's thee correct spelling? at the 13 6186 DNRE phone system .... most stupid setup I have ever heard of. Especially in circumstances such as these.

I gave all I could to Sheridan in the manner of info. She was as helpful as anyone could be BUT ..... we had no idea as to what is causing the deaths? no signs at all of mutilation or any other symptom? death is still mounting. I told John Wilson before he picks them up to wear non~porous gloves, and to secure any carcasses in a sealed container. If I could I would get some "protector" safety products for him to cover the "what if" circumstances for his own personal safety?

Is there such a document from the DNRE to cover these types of circumstances?

What should property owners do?

His property is quite large and his neighbours could NOT shed any more light as to why this has happened? one bright person after trying the phone runaround said to me to parcel them up and send them ALL for an autopsy? I asked could she repeat that? and yep send them through the public mail system to find out what they have died off? just pop them in a postal cardboard box.

Sorry for this email but this ancient and olde OH&S chairperson has got alarms bells going off all over his head ..... not only due to the world the way it is but also develops spraying the bush willy nilly to remove birds one musy assume?

Yours Sincerely, Mustava Island Somewhere JAG.

John Wilson can be contacted on 59839533 or I can be contacted on 59793709 if any auto answering machine can spare the time? I suppose one day we will have the same type of service for the fire brigade? finally you get through to a human voice asking them can you send a fire truck round to make sure these embers are completely out please, as you talk alongside what once was your home?

Do you Yahoo!?