birding-aus

Willy wagtails

To: "Birding Aus Messages" <>
Subject: Willy wagtails
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 12:36:57 +1000
g'day all,
1
Rear Vision Mirrors
On one occasion a family of Grey-crowned Babblers (GcB) were pecking both my vehicles rear vision mirrors for some time.

On that day the breeding pair apparently had young in a nearby nest which was separate from the two dormitory nests.
2
Drinking
I, like most people have seen thousands of Willy Wagtails, but I have only seen one dipping its beak into water and apparently drink.
(Maybe it was looking at its reflection and when it pecked the water it appeared to drink ?)

I have never seen the GcB drinking. But once, on a relatively warm day, they queued up to individually plunge into a water hole and immediately jump out and give themselves a dog like shake.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.