birding-aus

Australian Sarus Crane subspecies again

To: "Bob Forsyth" <>, "birding aus" <>, "Andrew Taylor" <>
Subject: Australian Sarus Crane subspecies again
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:53:00 +1100
Thanks, I was merely retyping what Richard Schodde wrote in the article. That article reveals that the holotype was collected on 18-8-1984, so the identification of the birds, clearly preceded collection of the holotype by years. The point about the article by F.T.H.Smith is fair but note that 1969 is before 1971 so it is just a piece of history that Gill's paper appeared first, even though Smith was involved too. Schodde's claim still appears correct.

Philip